The NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR is responsible for designing, implementing and optimizing the network infrastructure components in support of the company computing needs. The position will require the use of advanced network design and consultative skills, in combination with internetworking experience, to lead the integration of enterprise elements into existing and new components. The NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR works with enterprise server systems based on Windows, Linux/Unix, and network components such as routers, firewalls, switches, LAN/WAN and wireless.
The position requires strong troubleshooting, analytic and diagnostic skills, along with good communications abilities. The NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR role is expected to be performed in alignment with the telecommunications and higher education industry guidelines, project management process standards and IT best practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Administers the operation of all LAN/WAN and WLAN technologies, including LAN/WAN security, antivirus and spam control measures.
- Troubleshoots and resolves LAN/WAN performance, connectivity and related network problems
- Responsible for all aspects of Office 365 hybrid environment including on-premises Active Directory with Azure AD Sync, ADFS, SSO, MFA, DLP, SharePoint, Skype for Business, OneDrive for Business, Exchange, PowerBI, Teams, etc.
- Administers Windows Server 2008-2016 and all related services such as Active Directory, Group Policy, WSUS, IIS, DNS, DHCP, Print Servers, File Servers, PowerShell, etc.
- Maintains all IT hardware including servers, switches, firewalls, fiber optics, UPS, Access Points, patch panels, cameras, access control, IoT devices, etc
- Acts as the Network subject matter expert for all future projects. Provides options in a consultative role to business and technology partners.
- Design, develop, implement, document and analyze technical products and systems. Perform engineering design evaluations based on industry best practices in order to meet the needs of University constituents.
- Responsible for versioning, and maintaining current revision levels on any firmware, hardware and software as applicable.
- Ensures high availability of network resources and applications, as well as local and off-site backups
- Understands and works towards compliance with applicable frameworks; ie: PCI, HIPAA, FERPA, GLBA, GDP
- Coordinates with DBA to maintain individual user’s information systems, with 3rd party vendors for offsite datacenter, VoIP systems, LMS, etc and with the Marketing department for web development support
- Analyzes current and planned network usage to develop sustainable, long-range and short-range strategies. Consults with management, vendors and users on communications needs and problems. Works with IT auditors and external IT vendors.
- Develops and monitors appropriate security procedures to safeguard internal systems from physical harm and viruses, unauthorized users and damage to data.
- Responsible for disaster recovery planning to ensure voice and data systems are available in the case of an unplanned disaster.
- Schedules and communicates planned and unplanned outages
- Serves as the escalation point for Helpdesk
- Responsible for personal accountability and planning. Estimate business analysis level of effort (LOE) in hours on various projects. Able to draw network diagrams, if ever needed.
- Executes plans for cyber-security threats and prevention
- Provides technical support, documentation and training to project team members
- Handles complex application features, technical designs. Accountable for all network issues from start to resolution, including documentation.
- Handles the documentation of any project scope change
- A willingness to be on-call 24/7 in case of network emergencies or failures
- Excellent analytic and communications skills, both written and verbal with all levels of the organization. Ability to produce network reports and statistics as needed.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint and Project)
- Familiarity with Network Management tools and reporting
- Solid critical thinking/analytical and problem-solving skills, especially in a cross-functional environment. Experienced in problem analysis and providing options to solve problems.
- Strong team-oriented interpersonal skills including facilitation and negotiation, ability to lead and influence others, and the ability to effectively interface, deliver project tasks on schedule and work with a wide variety of people.
- Organized and professional demeanor
“SPECIFIC SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGY”
- Dell Force10 LAN, Dell OMNM, Aruba WLAN, ClearPass, AirWave, Cisco Meraki WLAN, SonicWall firewall management; Full network stack including private and public DNS, DHCP, VLANs, routing, firewalls, NAT, BGP, IPSec and SSL VPN, VoIP etc; Solid understanding of WLAN troubleshooting including RF characteristics, roaming, client isolation, 802.1X authentication, captive portals, etc
- Microsoft Products: Server 2008-2016, Windows 7, Windows 10, Active Directory, Group Policy, WSUS, Print & File Servers, Network Shares, IIS, PowerShell, DHCP, DNS, Volume Licensing
- Office 365 Products: Azure AD, ADFS & proxy, Azure AD Sync, SSO, MFA, DLP, SharePoint, Skype for Business, OneDrive for Business, Exchange, PowerBI
- Nutanix Hyperconverged Virtualization Platform; VMWare vSphere 6.0, 6.5 and vCloud director; Understanding of SSL certificates; Veeam Backup; PRTG Monitoring; Desktop imaging; Jamf – Apple MDM; Genetec and Milestone Camera systems; Darktrace; Aprero CAS; TrueNAS Storage; Sophos; Citrix XenDesktop and XenApp; Access Control systems; Moodle LMS; HVAC Control; Avaya IP Office; PaperCut; Linux administration;
- VoIP and PBX troubleshooting/maintenance and Audio Visual experience
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3 years of experience operating enterprise level networks.
- Relies on experience and professional judgment to plan and accomplish goals, perform a variety of tasks, and demonstrate a wide degree of creativity and latitude.
- Internetworking certifications (e.g. Cisco, Microsoft, etc.) are preferred (industry experience with network administration will take priority over certifications)